Monday 21 January 2013

5-A-DAY

No, I am not listing nutritions here. I do count calories though. What I am trying to do is to overcome my sloth-like laziness and learn 5 new English words every single day (more or less) to improve my provincial rhetorical and literal skills. Therefore I am writing blog entries. Not interesting ones. More geek-chic ones. Let’s get started. God, I am hungry!

1.      Humbug – gibberish. God bless you Ebenezer Scrooge, one word less remains for Harry’s new English dictionary. We got enough hanky-panky in the last decade. Bah!
2.      Hoax – like a false report... vendre un canard à moitié – to half sell a duck. Exactly! Like a canard. „What a gem of a word, with an enigmatic and darkly suggestive history behind it.” (at least Ph.D. Octopus thinks so)
3.      Deceive – I don’t know enough verbs. I don’t like them. Way too powerful for my taste.  They often deceive me. I would say things like: Let’s crumble on the bed (yeees, cuddle). Verbs are old impostors!
4.      Diligent – that would be me.
5.      Sassy – that would be Nigella. Oh, no! She is more the goddess of all things dirty and fabulous in food terms. Sassy is a truly gay word (no offence) with the sizzling double ’ss’ on top of your tongue.

You might say now: what a juice? But hey, sooner or later I will finish off the entire English vocabulary and I could have started with words like ’neurotransmitters or essential amino acids’. You just have to suck it up!


The sentence of the day:

You just have to suck it up!

No comments:

Post a Comment